LIVABLE HOUSING DESIGN GUIDELINES
LHA Platinum level provides the highest level of accessibility and livability.
All 15 elements are featured in the platinum level. This level describes design elements that would better accommodate ageing in place and people with higher mobility needs. This level requires more generous dimensions for most of the core livable design elements and introduces additional elements for features such as the living room and flooring.
The fifteen core design features elements in the LHA Platinum level they are:
- A safe continuous and step free path of travel from the street entrance and / or parking area to a dwelling entrance that is level.
- At least one, level (step-free) entrance into the dwelling.
- Internal doors and corridors that facilitate comfortable and unimpeded movement between spaces.
- A toilet on the ground (or entry) level that provides easy access.
- A bathroom that contains a hobless shower recess.
- Reinforced walls around the toilet, shower and bath to support the safe installation of grabrails at a later date.
- Stairways are designed to reduce the likelihood of injury and also enable future adaptation.
- The kitchen space is designed to support ease of movement between fixed benches and to support easy adaptation.
- The laundry space is designed to support ease of movement between fixed benches and to support easy adaptation.
- Ground (or entry level bedroom space) here is a space on the ground (or entry) level that can be used as a bedroom.
- Switches and Powerpoints Light switches and powerpoints are located at heights that are easy to reach for all home occupants.
- Home occupants are able to easily and independently open and close doors and safely use tap hardware.
- The family/living room features clear space to enable the home occupant to move in and around the room with ease.
- Windows sills are installed at a height that enables home occupants to view the outdoor space from either a seated or standing position.
- Floor coverings are slip resistant to reduce the likelihood of slips, trips and falls in the home.